Friday, February 23, 2007

Don't Do it! I Warns Ye!


Don’t go here, or you might wind up like this guy. To find out where the writer, Fernley Phillips, lifted the concept, go here, and here, and here.
Why does Hollywood have to take everything to Spookytown? And why do they always have to add a steaming shovelful of Christo-Satanic mythology? Zero points for originality gang.
For those in a hurry, Wikipedia has this to say about the Illuminatus! Trilogy:


“The popularity of the word "fnord" and the 23 enigma can both be attributed to the trilogy. It remains a seminal work of conspiracy fiction, predating Foucault's Pendulum and The Da Vinci Code by decades.”


I think we can safely add “The Number 23” to that list. I think I’ll go and re-rent “A Beautiful Mind” now.

4 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Blogger Rev. Barky said...

I do believe you have finally gone link crazy.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

ditto.
being born on the 23rd of a certain month I was intrigued but the links were exasperating.

Last night I dreamed about a little boy who hide under a kitchen counter & counted numbers, & wanted me to bake him a cake. creepy.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger breakerslion said...

I just get in a mood once in a while. I actually found a review of the movie that claimed that it fell apart about half way through. I figured that I had to draw the line somewhere. I was very sorry to hear about Bob Wilson's demise last month, and this movie smells fishy to me. I can imagine a rejected screenplay that was hideously re-worked and even then only accepted because of the success of "The DaVinci Code". The premise as first described in the exposition seems to suffer from Hollywood Formula Overlay to make it marketable to those who lack imagination or the courage to make films that become Indi success stories. And I got that just from the Trailers and one detailed review. To put it another way, if you steal someone else's premise, at least do it justice.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Rev. Barky said...

L>T, Tat sonds like standard dream fare - except that usually the boy would have an extra arm holdng an inexplicable yellow plasic toy that keeps changing all the time.

BL - I think I can smell that Formula H in a preview - and it usually starts with "In a world..."

I saw two good Formula-H free films recently, "Little miss Sunshine" and "Stranger than Fiction"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home