Tuesday, January 08, 2008

So I Wrote My Representative

Dear Mr. Hodes,

I would like to make known my strong opposition to H. Res. 888.
I for one, am dog tired of the religious right's leadership brewing the unending tempest of outrage in the teapot that is the separation of church and state. That they garner money to combat this false and manufactured outrage is indeed the irony of the situation. Apparently religious freedom is not enough unless they are free to force-feed their chosen religion to others.

These monetary motives aside, the alleged history portrayed in the resolution is false. Upon this distortion alone the proposal should die a death of derision. I recommend this web page for a succinct rebuttal of the "facts" contained in the "wherases" of this wheezing and self-serving distortion of American History.
http://www.talk2action.org

Thank you for your time.

1 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Rita said...

Me too...here is the letter I got back from my rep.:

Dear Ms. -------------

Thanks for contacting me with your opposition to H.Res. 888. I appreciate hearing from you and I am pleased to have this opportunity to respond.

You can be sure that I will study this resolution in close detail before making a final decision. I am a strong advocate for religious freedoms and believe that all Americans have the right to worship without government interference. This sacred right to worship, or to not worship, is explicitly protected under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and we must do everything in our power to protect this right.

However, please remember that House resolutions are not legally binding. This means that when Congress recognizes or congratulates a religion, religious group, or religious person it does not violate the First Amendment, which states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

With that said, upon my initial review, I do have some concerns with H.Res. 888. I am not sure that I can agree to all 75 findings listed in the resolution, such as the finding that all state constitutions give thanks to God. I'll continue studying H.Res. 888 and I will certainly be following the status of the resolution. It is currently being considered in the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

Thanks again for writing and please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Rep. Peter DeFazio
Fourth District, OREGON


I think I'll write back & stress the importance of intellectual integrity above & beyond the fact that this resolution is not legally binding & not a violation of the First Amendment.

I was working on a post about H.Res. 888 but lost all my notes through my own stupidity. sometimes posts are so damn time consuming... i don't want to do it over. I feel it's an important issue, though.

Maybe I can get someone to do a guest post?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home