Monday, August 21, 2006

Quick and Dirty II



I am working on a post about the thing I call the Neverending Godomercial. I have a couple of other projects going right now, and I find I am spread so thin that I am not finding time to rip down my first attempt and start over. While researching symptoms of denial for this project, two things happened. First, my computer was taken over by something calling itself “Drive Cleaner” that would not take “NO!” for an answer when it offered to install itself. I caught this bug when I went to a web site that purported to be about denial of sexual abuse. Second, I noticed that something was missing from the descriptions of denial. In my experience, a person in denial works very hard to maintain and defend whatever illusion takes the place of reality in that person’s mind. I was looking for support for this observation, and so far, I’ve found no reference to it at all. Correct me if I’m wrong: a person in denial has to have some kind of substitute reality. If this delusion is not addressed, is it like the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about? Or, is it just some weird oversight, perhaps one that is minimized because the psychological focus is elsewhere?

In any event, I think that the incessant “selling” of religion, and the endless repackaging of the idea of Fairyland-in-the-Sky, or life after death, is a symptom of the desperate need to believe that death is not the end. The feverish volume of conjectural bullshit stated as “Truth”, tends to make me think so. Even when some of this material does not claim to be true, it is often stated in a matter-of-fact way, and left up to the discretion (or lack thereof) of the reader to classify it as fiction. Then there’s the zeal that exposes the need to believe, despite the lack of material argument. For example, Jesus, by Lauryn Hill.

Is it me, or is that insanely desperate and whacked in the head?

2 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Most humans have a natural aversion to being unique and standing out in the crowd. Little monkeys who stand out or wander off might actually get devoured by predators (and they usually do).

On the other hand wanderers discover new things that may benefit the entire troop.
So what do you do?....
Play it safe and increase your odds by staying in the group and following the leader...
or do a little wandering.

While the rest of the troop is fighting over a rotting apple,
you are sitting on the banks of an edenic postcard picture perfect oasis. There you are staring at a beautiful waterfall with two armfuls of yummy bananas.

Why spoil the moment?
Most of them will never believe you anyway.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

I don't think you are whacked in the head with your idea at all.

I think it IS possible that people in denial do not have a substitute reality: as in people denying that the loved one in front of them who has just died is, in fact, not dead.

But in the context you're talking about, yes, I believe that in virtually all cases, people in denial have a substitute reality.

However, put another way, those same people would say they are NOT in denial and that, in fact, what you are calling their substitute reality is in fact the true reality and that YOU are in denial.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home